The liver is a vital organ which performs many complex functions e.g.
- fighting infection;
- dealing with poisons and drugs;
- filtering and cleaning the blood;
- controlling cholesterol levels;
- producing and maintaining the balance of hormones;
- producing the chemicals responsible for blood clotting and tissue repair;
- processing digested food;
- producing bile to break food down;
- storing energy;
- storing sugar, vitamins and minerals.
It is the largest solid organ in the body. It is the one organ that can renew itself.